Thursday, September 28, 2017

#RABlog day 4 - Hobbies - or collections as my best friend likes to call them

I like to think I'm a crafty person. I have tried many different types of crafts...aka hobbies..lol Although, my family and friends see this a bit different, they kindly refer to this as hoarding...lol

Of course I'm only "hoarding" until someone needs something for a project, a craft etc.

Oh I have had my phases...flower arranging, sewing, crocheting, knitting, needle work, cross stitch, and then there was my painting phase...oh yes, but then came clay, baking, cake decorating...thus far none and I mean not one of the above mentioned hobbies has made me any money...in fact, they have caused  my checkbook and credit cards to cringe.

Now I am fortunate to have a spouse who is indulgent...never complaining, never questioning the many bags coming in from Joanns, Michaels, Pat Catans, and occasionally Hobby Lobby. Nor did he say nary a word when we attended a couple auctions and became the proud owners of not 2 but 3 or 4 truck loads of someone else's "hobby/hoarding". I might have a slight problem.

Remember that my mind set has been and still is, they are going to find a cure!! So, I keep buying. On my best days, I can work on projects that I have, they may take 3 or 4 months to finish, but hey I have time.

Then came my chicken hobby. Now this was NOT my doing. My dear sweet spouse wanted chickens...I did not, that is until our neighbor delivered 4 fluffy tiny balls of cuteness in a box one day. I was hooked!! So my husband built my tiny fluff balls the Taj Mahal of chicken coops. And so began my hobby/hoarding of feathered friends. My husband again is indulgent...not 1, but 3 coops later, 6 different breeds, and many more fluff balls, he said "enough". We had 30 plus chicks ranging from eggs being set on, to 5 inches tall, to our big boy who tipped the scales at 10 pounds. (Might have been just a few too many treats)

Alas, my hobby/hoarding of chickens came to an abrupt end this year when a varmint  got inside our big coop and one by one stole my babies. The sole survivor was Faith, who only has one eye (lost the other in a racoon attack). Faith survived a fire and multiple attacks over the years. We rehomed her with a friend who has many chicken friends. 

Faith is a survivor. Just like myself and the many others who everyday fight the battles of disease. We have Faith in our doctors, family, science, and friends. We have Faith that we will find a cure. Perhaps Faith the blind chicken has taught me the most out of all my hobbies...keep going, keep fighting, keep having blind faith...

I am #RedefiningRA one day at a time, one hobby at a time.

Gentle hugs and much love.

3 comments: